Saturday 26 September 2015

Hermès Men’s Wear Designer Véronique Nichanian's Paris Apartment


It’s luxury. It French. It’s Hermès.
We have not been hearing good thing about Hermes lately.
Model and singer Jane Birkin wants Birkin bag to be renamed after Peta investigation into French luxury goods manufacturer’s treatment of crocodiles and alligators. Hermès, however, has denied that the farm belongs to them, or that the skins from the farm are used to make their Birkin bags, asserting, "an investigation is underway at the Texas farm which was implicated in the video. Any breach of rules will be rectified and sanctioned."
These are the latest news about the most desired brand.
Many brands use the real leather to produce their goods. To me using real leather is same with wearing real fur but which one of us doesn’t commit this crime? (I am not promoting the brand here; just saying that real leather is real leather. Do not support or animal slaughtering.  We must find a way to do fashion without hurting animals.)

Anyway… Let’s be honest. Hermes is the first brand that comes to mind when we say luxury. NYTimes published an interview with Véronique Nichanian, 61 years old Artistic director of the Hermès Men’s Universe, about her Paris apartment.  (Interview by Steven Kurutz)



Your favourite living area?
A white-walled, high-ceilinged room with a view of the Eiffel Tower.

What do you love about this space?
The light is amazing because it’s from both sides. In 20 minutes my husband and I decided this was the place we wanted to live, and it was done. And I always dreamt of living in St.-Germain-des-Prés since I’m a child.




Why this neighborhood?
First of all, I’m born in Paris. I lived in many places in Paris because I moved many times. I used to come here and shop. I know perfectly all the tiny streets. It seemed to me the people were nicer, casual. There were many writers and people talking about art. For me, St.-Germain-des-Prés was the place to be.
Sometimes when we fulfill a long-sought dream, we’re disappointed. I’m not. I’m still very happy.

It’s said there is a Parisian way of dressing. Is there a Parisian way of living?
You should tell me. All my friends, I can’t say we have the same kind of apartment. It’s different because the personalities are different. People are more classic or more traditional. I’m not a traditional person, not at all.

Well, the flowers on your coffee table seem common to French interiors.
I brought these flowers from the country. It’s very important. It gives a softness. Even in my bedroom I have flowers. I like to wake up and see flowers.

I noticed your record collection. What are you currently listening to?
I’m listening to old Bob Dylan. I love his voice.



In both your men’s wear and your home, there is very little fussiness. 
It’s minimalist but with a touch of humor, I think, and emotional things. I have a large canopy armchair. I have a sofa for friends. I have a working fireplace. That’s fine with me. If I remember my first apartment when I left my parents, it was exactly the same. Smaller. Not in the same area. But exactly the same apartment. Really, I’m still the same. With my friends or the kinds of things I like. I did not change.

1 comment: